Career opportunities in Mechanical Engineering | Scope in Mechanical Engineering | Eligibility criteria for Mechanical Engineering | Top institutes
Scope in Mechanical Engineering
What is meant by term Mechanical Engineering? – Mechanical Engineering is fully based on the term “Mechanism”. The Mechanism is about the concept on which the law of physics, material science, environment condition and mathematics are involved in the design, production, manufacturing and maintenance. Mechanical Engineering is one of the most oldest and broadest field of engineering. The field of mechanical engineering touches virtually every aspect of modern life, including the human body, a highly complex machine. Mechanical engineering play key roles in a wide range of industries including automotive, aerospace, biotechnology, computers, electronics, microelectromechanical systems, energy conversion, robotics and automation, and manufacturing.
Mechanical Engineering involves statics and dynamics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, stress analysis, mechanical design and technical drawing. Mechanical engineering degrees usually last for three or four years at undergraduate level and one or two at master’s level.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER– The person who involves themselves in mechanical engineering is known as Mechanical Engineer. The role of a mechanical engineer is to take a product from an idea to the marketplace. To accomplish this, the mechanical engineer must be able to determine the forces and thermal environment that a product, its parts, or its subsystems will encounter; design them for functionality, aesthetics, and durability, vehicle design, robotics, nanotechnology or energy.; and determine the best manufacturing approach that will ensure operation without failure.
FOR UNDER-GRADUATE COURSES (4 years duration) – The candidate should have passed Class XII in Science stream with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA from any recognized board . For entering in Mechanical Engineering, either in diploma or UG, mathematics and physicsare the compulsory and has to be in the qualifying examination.
FOR POST-GRADUATE COURSES ( 2 years duartion)– The candidate should have passed Bachelors with minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks or First Class in the qualifying degree (Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and Technology). For entering in PG (M.Tech) programme, B.Tech in mechanical engineering is must.
Mechanical Engineering Entrance Exams
Most of the universities offer admissions on the basis of the entrance test and release their own cut-off. Admission for the BE Mechanical Engineering course is based on merit-list and entrance-exam, followed by a personal interview. Some of the entrance exams are mentioned below:
- JEE (Joint Entrance Exam): It is a national-level entrance examination conducted by the IITs, on a rotational basis. This exam allows admission into some of the top colleges like the 23 most reputed IITs, NITs, IIITs, government-funded GFTIs, and various state-level colleges all over India. Many other institutes also consider JEE scores to select students for engineering courses.
- BITSAT: BITSAT is a national level entrance exam conducted by BITS. This exam allows admission into various BITS available across India. The selection of the eligible candidates is done after evaluating their performance in qualifying examination, group discussion, and personal interview.
- VITEEE: VITEEE is a common entrance exam for VIT Vellore, VIT Chennai, VIT-AP, and VIT- Bhopal. The exam tests the candidates on subjects like Maths/Biology, Physics, Chemistry, English & Aptitude. It consists of 125 multiple choice questions to be answered in two and a half hours. Selection is based on the marks obtained in the entrance exam, followed by the counseling. Eligible candidates may select a specific Programme / Campus during counseling.
- SRMJEEE: SRM Institute of Science & Technology conducts SRMJEEE for admissions to BTech programs offered by its campuses in Kattankulathur, Ramapuram, Vadapalani, and Delhi-NCR. SRMJEEE 2020 will be held online across 125 test centers in India and a few centers in the Middle-east.
- WBJEE: West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (WBJEE) is a state-level examination conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB). The exam is a gateway for admission to various undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered in Engineering & Technology,
Scope in Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering is one of the evergreen branches of engineering which over time, has contributed to several innovations. Considered to be one of the oldest branches of engineering, mechanical engineering deals with the concepts of thermodynamics, fluids, mechanics and structural analysis. The scope of mechanical engineering is vast even today.
- Automobile Industry – One of the fastest growing industries, the automobile industry offers a variety of opportunities to mechanical engineers. From design to manufacturing and even maintenance, some of the top automobile brands have begun to invest in recruiting of new talent for research as well as the development of transport systems like driverless cars, bullet trains as well as pod-based transportation systems. Hence with the right set of skills and passion, the scope of mechanical engineers in the automobile industry is quite bright, which may lead to building of an exciting career.
- Aerospace Industry – From developing flying cars to reusable satellites as well as rockets, the aerospace industry is not far behind when it comes to innovation and inventions. With the technological advancements, the aerospace industry is rapidly expanding its reach and thus, the need for skilled mechanical engineers with practical knowledge. The industry offers a variety of job roles to the mechanical engineers – from design to manufacturing, testing as well as the fabled R&D, where you get an opportunity to use the principles of physics, aeromodelling as well as dynamics to innovate the systems for better design as well as efficiency.
- Robotics & Mechatronics – Robotic process automation and robotics itself are the booming new trends. Almost every industry is looking for automation solutions in order to increase efficiency and cut down on operation costs. However, the implementation of the same requires the supervision and efforts from skilled mechanical engineers. Whether it is the design and manufacturing of a new robotics system or the implementation of process automation for inventory management, robotics and mechatronics will always have a role for the mechanical engineers to play.
- Power and Metal Plants – The Power industry is one of the major contributors to the economy of our nation. There are several thermal power plants all over the country and since the power plants use the principles of thermodynamics and material science, mechanical engineering graduates are required here as well.
OUR RECENT POSTS
- COWI Recruitment 2021 for Engineering Trainee | Check out here
- Central government withdraws decision to reduce interest rates on small savings | Check out here
- Bank of Baroda Recruitment 2021 : Recruitment for 511 posts | know details here
- BECIL Recruitment 2021 : Notification Out For Skilled/ Semi Skilled/ Unskilled Manpower Posts; Check out Here
- Career opportunities in Banking | Check out here
- The degree of Bachelor in Engineering in Mechanical Engineering involves the study of Robotics and Instructional design. The scope is rising at a fast pace and will continue to do so in the future.
- There are various areas in the private sector as well as the public sector where a graduate may start working.
- Many job offers are made and the profiles offered are Mechanical Engineers, Consultant, Instructional designer, Nuclear Engineer, besides positions such as Automotive Engineer, Civil Engineer, Instrumentation Engineer, Nuclear Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Production Engineer, etc.
- Those who have finished their studies in the graduate-level field in mechanical engineering can go for the higher-level courses, namely the M.Tech./ M.E in Mechanical engineering.
- Besides this, they can also opt for the Post Graduate Diploma in Mechanics course
- Other than this, you should get a certification in the latest technologies, emerging tools, and languages to stay updated with your skills and knowledge, which will help you in your career growth and better salary.
Mechanical engineering offers a wide variety of career opportunities to job aspirants. The average monthly salary of mechanical engineers who are new to this profession is approximately in the range between Rs.10,000 and Rs.25,000. Good campus placements can fetch even better packages for deserving students. Mechanical engineers who hold a post-graduate degree from a reputed academic institute tend to get better offers than diploma and degree holders.
From here on the annual pay packet depends on a number of factors such as the skill set possessed, experience, expertise, the employer, nature of roles and responsibilities, etc. Highly skilled mechanical engineers can easily command pay packets as high as Rs 40-45 lacs per annum.