Radio Jockey Career : Courses, Skills, Salary and How to Become an RJ. The way people look at radio has also changed. Earlier, Indian radio personalities were simply referred to as radio ‘announcers’, but over the course of the last ten years, being a successful “radio jockey” (RJ) is considered no less than achieving celebrity status. And so, there has come about an emergence of dozens of radio jockey jobs.
The role of an RJ is to inform, update and entertain. Also known as Radio DJs, their work involves presenting various music programmes and entertaining the audience through other elements like interviews of guests – musicians, artists and well known personalities, either related to the music/film profession or even otherwise- providing commentaries related to a music piece and manage requests of listeners.
To become a Radio Jockey:-
- It is very important for you to be spontaneous, spunky and have a pleasing, friendly personality. A good voice and a strong command over language is always a good thing when you’re looking to make a career in this field.
- The good news is you are not required to be highly educated to become a Radio Jockey or RJ but you do need some skills and basic education. So, if one wants to start a career as a Radio Jockey, he or she should first complete an undergraduate degree or bachelor’s degree in mass communication.
- Secondly, an internship can take an aspirant in the right direction as it offers practical exposure.
- Further, to make progress in this career one should make great professional contacts as referrals work wonders at times. Networking is the key.
- However, referrals work only when you are great at what you do. This being a highly creative field, some of the qualities required are imagination, wit, out of the box thinking and a voice that can move people. Not necessarily in that order though.
Top colleges to pursue a career in Radio Jockey
- Radio City School of Broadcasting, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- The Mudra Institute of Communications (MICA), Ahmedabad
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, Pune
- Zee Institute of Media Arts, Mumbai
Radio Jockey Career Path :-
- Announcer: This is the most basic position in the radio station. An Announcer is a person who reads advertisements and is responsible for introducing content on radio. This job profile is the initial post before one is promoted.
- Music Director: This post gives an idea of how music library is maintained on radio station and how music is played when demanded on show. This professional is responsible for the music we hear on radio.
- News Reader: Radio news has a set format and hence one needs to learn the way to speak on radio before jumping into the mainstream jockeying world.
- On-AIR Personalities: These are the radio jockeys we hear on a regular basis and their major work is to keep listeners entertained along with scheduling ads and managing studio arrangements.
- Production Director: This is the position one may attain after being a senior On-Air personality. This is the person who controls On-Air traffic and schedules production and strategizes programs.
- Station Manager: This is one of the senior positions on the radio station. This is the person responsible for managing the station issues and programs.
Radio Jockey Salary
As a fresher in the field, you can expect to earn about between Rs 7,000/- and Rs 15,000/- per month. The pay scale will definitely increase with time and experience. An experienced RJ can make up to Rs. 1.5 lakhs to Rs. 2 lakhs per month. With experience and time, RJs can earn Rs. 2,500 – Rs. 3,000 per show.
Top Recruiting Radio Agencies /FM Stations for Radio Jockey
Most popular Radio Agencies/ FM stations in the country are:
- AIR (All India Radio)
- Times FM
- Radio Mid-day
- Radio Star
- Radio Wani
- Big F.M 92.7
- Radio Mirchi 98.3
- Radio Mango 91.9
- Club FM 94.3
- Red FM 93.5
- 104 Fever FM
OUR LATEST POSTS
- Genpact Recruitment 2022 | Genpact customer service jobs
- Recruitment of RTA Analyst l PhonePe
- Recruitment of Associate Technical Support l Salesforce
- Recruitment of Internship for Customer Service| OnePlus
- Recruitment of Analyst Programmer l Wipro
join us on twitter for more latest news and Job Updates please click
join us on linkedin for more latest news and Job Updates please click
join our Facebook Page for more latest news and Job Updates please click
For latest news and Job updates you can Join us on WhatsApp :- click here