Career in Interior Designer. Interior Design is fast becoming an extremely popular career choice in India. The craze for this profession has gained momentum after wives of famous Bollywood stars from the likes of Gauri Khan, Twinkle Khanna to Suzanne Khan have started their own labels.
What Interior Designers Do
Interior designers make interior spaces functional, safe, and beautiful by determining space requirements and selecting decorative items, such as colors, lighting, and materials. They read blueprints and must be aware of building codes and inspection regulations, as well as universal accessibility standards.
Provided below is the basic eligibility criteria required to be an interior designer. The table includes the education qualifications, work experience and skills for the aspirants. Go through the list to understand the requirement of the job better.
|Education Qualification||Must have qualified Bachelor’s or Master’s course in Interior Design.Popular Interior Design degrees are B.Sc, B.A., B.Des (Bachelor of Design), Master of Design, M.Sc and M.A.Certificate and diploma courses in Interior Design act as an added advantage.|
|Work Experience||Work experience is not mandatory, but part-time jobs or internships can help in enhancing skills and understanding.|
Career in Interior Designer ; Duties of Interior Designers
Interior designers typically do the following:
- Search for and bid on new projects
- Determine the client’s goals and requirements for the project
- Consider how the space will be used and how people will move through the space
- Sketch preliminary design plans, including electrical and partition layouts
- Specify materials and furnishings, such as lighting, furniture, wall finishes, flooring, and plumbing fixtures
- Create a timeline for the interior design project and estimate project costs
- Place orders for materials and oversee the installation of the design elements
- Oversee construction and coordinate with general building contractors to implement the plans and specifications for the project
- Visit the site after the project is complete, to ensure that the client is satisfied.
Employment Sector/Industry for Interior Designer
Interior designers can find employment opportunities in the following areas.
- Architectural Firms
- Interior Design Companies
- Designing Consultancies
- Construction Companies
- Set Designing Companies (for Theatre, TV or Film)
- Event Management Companies
- Exhibition Centers
Salary of an Interior Designer
For an entry-level for interior designer, average pay is around 4 lakh per annum, while a senior interior designer could earn up to a 30 lakh per annum. Receiving a proper salary depends on a lot of factors, such as education, location, work experience and size of the company. More importantly, one needs to win the favour of the potential employer by impressing him/her with the exposure and experience one cherishes.
Work Environment for Interior Designers
Interior designers hold about 77,900 jobs. The largest employers of interior designers are as follows:
|Specialized design services||27%|
|Architectural, engineering, and related services||20%|
Career in Interior Designer ; Interior Designing Skills
Here are the important skills required to build an interior design career.
|Spatial Awareness||Understanding spaces and utilization while planning interiors, ambiance and room function.|
|Technical Knowledge||To digitally create designs for clients, designers must be hands-on with software like Vectorworks, Autodesk Revit, 3D Max, Archicad, AutoCAD, Sketch Up, 3D Homeplanner, and Chief Architect.|
|Budgeting||Designers must be able to forecast expenditure, make budgets, identify hidden costs, negotiate and be good at bookkeeping for efficient use of money.|
|Time Management||Designers must know how to manage calendars, delegate, and manage time to get work done before deadlines.|
|Dynamic Creativity||An interior designer must be creative and know artistic styles, colors, fabrics, and emerging trends.|
Top Recruiting Companies for Interior Designer
Interior designers can look for a decent job in a number of good companies in India. Apart from giving exposure and some experience, the following companies will add brand value to your resume.
- Tag Concepts
- Urban Ladder
- Effervescent Technologies Pvt. Ltd
- Bonito Designs
- Films Factory
OUR LATEST POSTS
- Recruitment of RTA Analyst l PhonePe
- Recruitment of Associate Technical Support l Salesforce
- Recruitment of Internship for Customer Service| OnePlus
- Recruitment of Analyst Programmer l Wipro
- Internship Jobs l PwC